Second Cycle (Laurea magistrale) Degree Programme in Nuclear Engineering
Prof.: Nicola Forgione
The student who successfully completes the course will be able to demonstrate a solid knowledge of:
- basic concepts and operating principles of the main nuclear power reactors systems and their safety characteristics;
- configuration and features of nuclear power plants of different generations;
- comparison of PWR, BWR, PHWR, LMFBR and nuclear power plants of Generation II and IV.
The main objective of the course is to give an overall vision of the nuclear technology relating to the existing and upcoming Nuclear Power Plants. In particular, this course is intended to understand the engineering design of nuclear power plants using the basic principles of reactor physics, thermodynamics, fluid flow and heat transfer.
The course is organized in seven main parts: NPPs overview; boiling heat transfer; Pressurized Water Reactors; Boiling Water Reactors; Pressurized Heavy Water Reactors (CANDU); Liquid Metal Fast Breeder Reactors; Reactivity, reactivity coefficients and fission product effects.
For this course the prerequisite/s is/are
face to face
Main recommended reading includes:
Notes personally prepared by the teacher specifically for this course.
Further recommended reading includes parts of the following textbooks:
- B. Guerrini, S. Paci, “Appunti di Impianti Nucleari”, Università di Pisa.
- D.G. Cacuci, “Handbook of Nuclear Engineering”, Springer, 2010.
- Knief R. A., “Nuclear Engineering: Theory and Technology of Commercial Nuclear Power”, 2nd ed. La Grange Park, 2008.
- Neil E. Todreas & Mujid S. Kazimi, “Nuclear System I: Thermal Hydraulic Fundamentals”, Taylor & Francis; Revised. edition (settembre 2011).
- J.G. Collier, G. F. Hewitt, “Introduction to Nuclear Power”, Hemisphere, 1987.
Final oral exam 100%.
- The student will be assessed on his/her demonstrated ability to discuss the main course contents using the appropriate terminology. - During the oral exam the student must be able to demonstrate his/her knowledge of the course material and be able to discuss the reading matter thoughtfully and with propriety of expression. - The student's ability to explain correctly the main topics presented during the course will be assessed.
Per informazioni scrivete a email@example.com.